Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by David Levithan and John Green


One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.

Hilarious, poignant, and deeply insightful, John Green and David Levithan’s collaborative novel is brimming with a double helping of the heart and humor that have won both them legions of faithful fans.





Will Grayson has had a fair amount of spotlight on it this past week. Most of the spotlight has been about John Green, I’m not saying that this is wrong are that I don’t like John… but I think we should give David some credit here. Both writers wrote really well. I loved the idea of Will Grayson, it’s pretty original. I also love the fact that these two authors wrote it. David Levithan’s writing is generally more adventurous that John Greens, David explores different plots and ways to present his writing (like in Will Grayson, his Will’s part wasn’t capitalized.). John Green’s writing, while always having different characters and problems… are generally the same.
In Will Grayson, Will Grayson I like that both authors got to show off what they do best. For John’s Will I really love that there was a gay character. Tiny Copper is probably one of my favorite characters that I’ve ever read. When reading David’s Will, I first was like “Woa… this guy is depressed” but once I read it back and discussed it with Khy of Frenetic Reader, we both kinda think that David’s Will is kinda funny in a dark way. Now, while I’m reading Khy’s review I think she made a lovely point and that you should go check it out here.
Overall my favorite Will was David’s because I like the fact that he went against the norm a bit. David didn’t capitalize and made his character really depressed with a dark sense of humor. I still love John’s part. These to authors are an amazing pair who should really write a book together again. There is a musical, two people with the last names, and an amazing story.


FTC- I got this from the publisher.

3 comments:

Tahereh said...

wow i've never read a review about this book quite like yours.. hmmmm

makes me want to read it :D

thanks for sharing!!!

r@nd0m_l3x! said...

hahe good job zoe...nice review

vvb32 reads said...

i'm interested in this one because of the double author creation. sounds like the combo did well with the story.