Friday, February 1, 2013

An Interview with Liz Fichera

Today I have an interview with Liz Fichera. Liz is the writer of the awesome novel, Hooked which was released by HarlequinTeen this week. Here’s the interview-

1. Did you purposely give the main character of Hooked the nickname Fred? If so, why?

I knew that the heroine in HOOKED would never be a Tiffany or Madison or some other contemporary trendier name.   I wanted her to have a classic, strong name and one that would have an appropriate nickname.  When I spotted the name Fredricka, I knew I found my Fred. J  In my head, she is completely and totally a Fred and I could see her trying to distance herself from her full first name.  It was perfect.

2. Describe Hooked in six words or less.

Worlds collide.

3. What would the playlist for Hooked look like?

It’s pretty eclectic:

The Proclaimers – Whole Wide World

Miranda Lambert – The House That Built Me

Jerrod Niemann – Lover, Lover

Gloriana – Kissed You

Taylor Swift – You Belong With Me

Sóley – Smashed Birds

4. What would you like readers to take away from reading your novel?

First and foremost, it’s a story.  I hope readers would want to get lost inside the lives of Fred and Ryan for a little while and perhaps see pieces of themselves in each of them.  While I didn’t set out to write a book with big themes, it just worked out that way.  I hope readers finish it and realize that it’s important to dream big dreams, especially when your life stretches in front of you as it does for all teens.  Don’t let anyone stand in the way of achieving your dreams, even yourself.

5. Is there anything you can tell us about the companion to Hooked, Played?
PLAYED is all about Sam and Riley’s story, with brief appearances from Fred and Ryan.  Sam and Riley are two secondary characters in PLAYED and I really have a soft spot for both of them.  They are opposites, much like Fred and Ryan, but their motivations and desires are somewhat different.  Sam is also the kind of guy I could have totally crushed on in high school so writing his story for PLAYED was so much fun.  He never in a million years expected to get mixed up with a girl like Riley but he gets his chance in PLAYED.  And it’s not all smooth sailing.

1 comment:

We Heart YA said...

Those are some great country songs on the playlist! Kind of funny b/c we didn't get a Southern/country vibe from the book's premise, but it's a fun quirk. :)