Sunday, September 23, 2012

If I Lie by Corrine Jackson

If I Lie

A powerful debut novel about the gray space between truth and perception.
Quinn’s done the unthinkable: she kissed a guy who is not Carey, her boyfriend. And she got caught. Being branded a cheater would be bad enough, but Quinn is deemed a traitor, and shunned by all of her friends. Because Carey’s not just any guy—he’s serving in Afghanistan and revered by everyone in their small, military town.
Quinn could clear her name, but that would mean revealing secrets that she’s vowed to keep—secrets that aren’t hers to share. And when Carey goes MIA, Quinn must decide how far she’ll go to protect her boyfriend…and her promise.

If I Lie was the first non-school book I read in nearly two months. In some ways, now that it’s been a few days since I’ve read it, If I Lie broke my reading rut. Overall, I really liked If I Lie. I read it at the perfect time and I loved it. Corrine Jackson takes you on an emotional rollercoaster. This novel will make you laugh and cry, in the best possible ways.

Quinn was awesome. I loved what she was doing for the army veterans, and even though her father initially made her do it, she was fully dedicated to every part of the project. While working with George on the Veterans History Project, the story felt so nice and full (that’s the only way I can think to describe it). George was amazing. His relationship with Quinn is my favorite relationship in the whole book. Never in my life have I felt so much for an adult character in a young adult novel. Carey’s story was heartbreaking- at times the way he acted got me upset, but nonetheless, I felt sympathy towards him and what he had to go through.

After reading If I Lie, I couldn't help but be in love with the writing. Corrine Jackson knows how to write an amazing story. The book tugs at your heartstrings and captures you until the very last page. After finishing it, my mind was numb from everything I had just read. The writing is beautiful, and the novel as a whole is amazing.

I highly recommend If I Lie. It’s one of the best debut contemporary novels I’ve read in a long time. Corrine Jackson is a superb writer, and I can’t wait to read her next novel (she has a paranormal novel, Touched, coming out November 27 of this year). You all need to read If I Lie.

 

FTC- Received a copy from the author

I haven’t written a review in awhile, so sorry if this was a little choppy.

1 comment:

We Heart YA said...

Oh, we just happened to read this recently too! Really liked it, for a lot of the same reasons you've said. It's not a happy book -- and all the stuff Quinn goes through was tough, like, not something you'd want to reread a ton -- but it was well-written and moving. We actually cried!