Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Every Day by David Levithan

Every DayEvery day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.
Every morning, A wakes in a different person’s body, a different person’s life. There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.
It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

David Levithan has done it again. Every time I read one of his books, I have extremely high expectations- and every time, the books surpass my highest expectations. Every Day was no different. This idea is so original. As soon as I read the summary, I was hooked. Levithan has such inventive ideas that I can’t help but read his books as soon as humanly possible.

Every Day is such a bittersweet book. I couldn’t help but feel bad for A and all they’ve been through, but also all they’ve missed out on. Because of the nature of the book, it’s difficult for me to talk about the things I usually talk about in a review. There aren’t many secondary characters, and the situation that A has been put into is so different that I have nothing to compare it to.

As a character, A is written really well. I like that they aren’t afraid to bend the rules a little bit, and that they are so nice in how they treat the body it’s staying in for that one day. I also really liked Rhiannon. She was really level headed throughout most of what was going on with A. I spent a lot of the book feeling bad for both characters. A because of how their lifestyle doesn’t allow them to really connect with anyone. And Rhiannon because of something that inevitably happens at the end of the book (no, spoilers!).

I am in love with this book. I can’t say that this is my favorite Levithan book, since I don’t have a favorite of his books. However, it’s one of the most original. The writing is absolutely phenomenal. The characters are amazing. The story is beyond good. I have nothing but praise for Every Day.

 

FTC- Netgalley.

3 comments:

We Heart YA said...

So glad to hear that it lives up to the hype and hope! We've only dipped our toe into the David Levithan waters (with WILL GRAYSON WILL GRAYSON and his @loversdiction tweets) but this book has us really excited. Can't wait to read it!

Archaznable said...

I don't know about this book but you convinced me to get this one and I'm curious about this book Blogging Profits Unleashed

Irene Jennings said...

Oh, oh, oh. Your review makes me want to read Every Day right away. I love the idea of this book!

Irene Jennings (Prom Dresses)