Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Not That Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian


Natalie Sterling wants to be in control. She wants her friends to be loyal. She wants her classmates to elect her student council president. She wants to find the right guy, not the usual jerk her school has to offer. She wants a good reputation, because she believes that will lead to good things.

But life is messy, and it's very hard to be in control of it. Not when there are freshman girls running around in a pack, trying to get senior guys to sleep with them. Not when your friends have secrets they're no longer comfortable sharing. Not when the boy you once dismissed ends up being the boy you want to sleep with yourself - but only in secret, with nobody ever finding out.

Slut or saint? Winner or loser? Natalie is getting tired of these forced choices - and is now going to find a way to live life in the sometimes messy, sometimes wonderful in-between.


Siobhan Vivian never disappoints! All of her books are written with such grace and fluidity. Not That Kind of Girl eases you into the characters and how they act, with each step I was more and more in love with her characters and her writing. The main character, Natalie is wonderfully feminist. She was incredibly easy to relate to and I found myself recognizing some of myself in her.
When it first came out, someone told me that since I was going into High School this year, I should read it. That advice couldn’t be more true. If you’re in High School or going into High School, you should especially read this book. It plays with the topic of assuming you know people and what certain people are like, when you really don’t. It’s also (like many other Young Adult books) about finding yourself.
When you read Not That Kind of Girl, not only will you read about someone who finds herself and learns a lot about the people around her, but you will also find yourself a little bit. I really loved this book. If you haven’t read it, you should. If you haven’t read anything by Siobhan Vivian, you should log off your computer and go get one of her books. You won’t regret it.

FTC- Bought.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

I have this in my TBR and can't wait to read it! Great review :)

Yan said...

I'm about ready to myself a copy because everyone is raving about this book!